Here’s a bit of History on our Lodge Meetings. Originally, our meetings of the Lodge were held at the Midland Grand Hotel, (St. Pancras) Euston Road, NW and early members and visitors will have happy recollections of the delightful and friendly atmosphere, also the excellent attention rendered by the staff, both for the Lodge Meetings and particularly Ladies Festivals. Unfortunately, in 1935, the management advised that the Hotel would no longer be available for meetings, as it was to be converted into offices for the railway staff.
A Special Meeting of the Lodge was called on 17th May 1935 at Freemason’s Hall, when it was unanimously agreed to petition Grand Lodge for dispensation to alter the venue for Lodge Meetings. This was granted and accommodation for meetings was organised at Freemason’s Hall, with dining facilities at Connaught Rooms.
The last meeting at the Midland Grand Hotel was held on 15th March 1935 and the first at the Freemasons’ Hall/Connaught Rooms on 17th May 1935, which was the installation Meeting when W. Bro. C.W. Durley was Installed by W. Bro. J.H. Mealing. Initially Lodge Meetings were held on Mondays, but this was found inconvenient for several reasons and by general consent was obtained to meet on Saturdays.
Happier conditions being restored; the day of meetings was changed back to Fridays from 15th November 1946. As a matter of historical interest, it is worthy of record that on 4th September 1939, an order was made by Grand Lodge suspending all Masonic Meetings in view of the National Emergency.
This meant cancellation of our Meeting in November 1939. It was not contemplated that this order was more than a temporary measure, and in fact, the ban was lifted and meetings resumed. Meetings were resumed as from 19th January 1940, thus the Lodge has only missed one meeting, November 1939, since its consecration.